Sunday, February 24, 2008

Baby Plants

This is the incubator room. I use seed starting mix for all the seeds I plant. The green mat in the left rear is a heated greenhouse mat, it keeps the pots warm so the seeds germinate more quickly. I don't use the clear plastic greenhouse cover because the seeds I am germinating are enclosed in plastic, and the other ones are in a pie tray with lid.
You can't see the second one, but there are two grow lights being used. They are the compact florescent ones you can get from WalMart. If you are looking for them, they are labeled "Daylight" bulb. We just used ordinary lamps and screwed the daylight bulbs in.
Some of the seeds are in peat pots, with little plastic pots that someone had given us. I use these outer pots to keep the moisture from evaporating too quickly since the peat pots lose moisture through the sides. I also use recycled pots from plants we've purchased and planted in the garden.
You can see the two Passiflora Actinia growing in their little pots. They were the first to germinate of the seeds we got from Turtlegaby. I used the heated mat to germinate them and then transferred them to their own pots once they broke through the soil.
Here you see the Glory Lily freshly transferred into her own big pot. I germinated this one in the pie pan with lid and transplanted it as soon as it sprouted.
These are Zinnias from seed that we harvested from our favorite blooms when we lived in Georgia. Can't wait till they are full grown and blooming!
Here is the pie pan. It has only about 3/4 of an inch of soil so I have to transplant the seedlings as soon as they sprout.
As you can see, I divided the pie pan into 8 separate sections and labeled the lid. I also cut a notch in the pie pan and marked the lid to line up with the notch so I don't lose track of the seedlings.
The first thing that sprouted in the pie pan was the Red Flowering Gum, but I killed it when I transplanted it. Oh well, there are two more of its seeds in the pie pan.
More babies. The short plastic container has Hollyhocks, the pots on the right and left have Red Poppies in recycled pots, and the far left is a Sweet Pea, also in a recycled pot. I don't know which one, because we have a lot of different Sweet Pea seeds and lost track... LOL I like the recycled pots and containers because they work much better than the ones they sell for seed starting at the stores.

~Gerard~

No comments: